Transitioning Steinberg piano hosted by CuBase and powered by a 1990’s Dell tower PC to
— either a new keyboard with good piano sound built-in
— or stand-alone virtual piano and Macbook, keeping the RD-600 key base.
– Upgraded to the Steinberg ‘Grand 3’ – OS compatible and stand-alone (since 2009).
– Say goodbye to Native Instruments B4, designed for PC and Mac but our version no longer supported.
ALTERNATIVE PIANOS: (sampled as well as modeled)
– On-line listening with Synthogy – has to be among the top, listen!
– Downloaded Arturia, Piano V2 — Three classic grand pianos plus uprights and fun experimental pianos. Difficult to adjust the lower half from being “muddy”. The graphic implementation is good:
– Downloaded two modeled pianos from from Pianoteq; here the Steinway D:
Yes there are better-feeling keyboard actions out there, but it becomes clear that the RD-600 remains good and better than many, so we keep it. MIDI control capability is also fine for software pianos and other external instruments.